- 1 ½ lbs. Chilipepper Rockfish, or other Wild white fish
- 4 Tbsps. Extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 tsp. Chili powder
- ½ tsp. Ground cumin
- ½ tsp. Garlic granules
- 1/8 tsp. Ground cayenne red pepper
- ½ tsp. Lemon pepper
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely chopped (adjust heat to your liking)
- 2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
Morro Bay Avocado Sauce:
- 1 Large Morro Bay avocado
- ½ Cup water
- ½ Loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 1 Pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh lime juice
- 2 Large garlic cloves
- Kosher salt
- Black Pepper
Tacos & Garnishes:
- 12 Corn tortillas
- 2 Cups Cabbage, finely shredded, lightly kosher salted
- ½ Cup Cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ Cup white onion, finely chopped
- Tapatio hot sauce, to your liking
- Lime wedge
Marinate the Fish:
- In a small glass bowl, combine the Chili powder, cumin, garlic granules, ground cayenne red pepper and salt, stir until mixed
- Rinse and pat dry the fish with paper towels, place fish on plate and drizzle with 2 Tbsps. Olive oil, rub both sides of fish with spice mixture. Transfer to refrigerator to marinate for 15 – 20 minutes.
Prepare the Sauce:
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the avocado, lime juice, cilantro, water, pickled jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to serving bowl, cover tightly. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Cook the Fish:
- Cut fish into ¾ inch cubes.
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium-high heat, sauté the fish in the remaining 2Tbsp. olive oil, finely chopped jalapeno pepper and garlic, about 4-5 minutes, stirring 3 to 4 times. Do not overcook.
- Remove from heat, and transfer to a platter. Cover with foil, and set aside while you warm tortillas.
Warming the Tortillas and Assemble the Tacos:
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium heat warm the tortillas for 20-30 seconds per side. Wrap the tortillas with a clean dishcloth or paper towels to keep warm between batches.
- To assemble, place three tortillas on each plate. Divide the fish and salted cabbage evenly between the tortillas. Add a pinch of finely chopped cilantro and white onion, drizzle with avocado sauce, and serve with lime wedges. Tapatio as they please.